6.11.2007

Update

The past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic for us.

Dave's little sister, Jessie, graduated from high school on June 3rd so we were home in Ohio that weekend. We spent all day that Saturday helping to prepare for her big open house party. I made 6 batches of chex mix and cut the crusts off 8 loaves of bread. Saturday night we went to the airport to pick up Dave's sister, Jenny & her family from Idaho. Then Sunday we went to the graduation and open house. I way overindulged in cake, chex mix, etc. at Jessie's party and then had DQ after we left!!

We came home late last Sunday night from Ohio and I got really sick within the first 15 minutes of being home. I spent that entire night on the bathroom floor between episodes of sickness. I called in sick on Monday and slept most of the day, between more waves of sickness, then went to work on Tuesday and Wed morning, then I left early Wed and slept for 4 hours straight that afternoon because I could not even think clearly at work.

We both then took Thursday (my 25th birthday) and Friday off work (so I worked a whopping 12 hours last week....thank goodness for sick leave and vacation leave pay) and went on a fun weekend trip to Hocking Hills, Ohio with Dave's family.

I ate my first real meal Thursday night, after 4 days of chicken noodle soup and toast. We had Youngs with my family to celebrate my birthday. It was so nice to be with my parents and my sister on my special day. They gave me $ for a new bike (since mine was destroyed a few weeks back) and a new camera case since Emily's dog tried to eat mine last weekend...

We had a really great time at Crockett's Run in Hocking Hills. It was very nice and clean and beautiful. Everything that I've been hoping since I made the reservations in February. I've been kind of nervous ever since that it wouldn't be what we wanted or something. We had a 20 person lodge for most of the family and then a smaller cabin right next door. We had lots of good meals together as a family and spent a lot of quality time playing frisbee, soaking in the hot tub and hiking at the State Park trails (my FAVORITE part....) It was a very relaxing and fun weekend and we were back home by 4:30 so we had plenty of time to unpack before the busy week started, just like I wanted.

I'm glad to announce that I did bust past a weight loss goal after not eating much for so long. And I'm slowly introducing real food back into my diet. I'm just not allowing myself to eat so much now.

Anyways, now that the family vacation is over we have decided to rededicate ourselves to our Total Money Makeover. We had been saving up some $$ each week since March or something for the family vacation and now we don't need to do that anymore.

Even though we have now paid off $12,450 since March 4th, we still have a long way to go. We need to pay off about $2500 / week until August 31st to reach our goal of being debt free except for the first mortgage. (I guess if you're good at math, you now know how much debt we really have, but alas, that is ok. We really have no problem sharing it with anyone. We are trusting in God to provide for us. We could not do any of this without Him. We set such a seemingly unreasonable goal - paying off nearly $40,000 of debt in 6 months -because we believe that's what God wants us to do and when it is all said and done we will be able to glorify His name for the miracle He has worked in our financial lives.)

We spent our drive back from Ohio yesterday brainstorming action steps on how to achieve our goal. We have come up with a lot of good ideas.


  1. We are going to take all the money from selling items in Mom's garage sale next Saturday and all the money from selling the Scrambler, Brutus and the Ford Truck and pay off debt.
  2. We are going to both look into second jobs in the evenings or weekends. The way we see it, if we're really busy then we won't have time to shop or go out to eat or spend any money.
  3. David is going to strive to work on more cars from home for extra cash. (God provided his first client this evening...that's where he is now!)
  4. I'm going to keep trying to reduce the amt. of $$ I spend at the grocery. I've found that when I plan meals out that I spend a lot less each week. Last night we even made a game of searching thru our house for meal ideas so we wouldn't have to go to the grocery at all this week.
  5. We are going to continue having weekly budget planning meetings with each other so that we both know what expenses might come up in the next week and therefore we know exactly how much debt we can knock out each week.

Anyways, that's about it for now. I hope you are all having an awesome week. Bye!

No comments: